Tuesday, September 21, 2010

can i take my old room mate to small claims court if she is a minor but signed a lease?

here is my situation...



I had a roomate whom lived with me for 3 months. she signed a one year lease and didn't give me a dime the whole time she was here. But because she signed a 1 year lease can i hold her accountable for half a years rent?? i know that i could in most cases but this one is a little different. I'm not sure if i can hold her responsible because my grandmother co-signed for the apartment. and also because she is a minor. when she moved in she told me she was 18 but it turns out she doesn't turn 18 untill november. Because of this i'm not sure if i can hold her or her parents responsible, because any contract signed by a minor is null and void. but it's technically a leasing agreement and not a ';contract'; right?? i don't know what to do. can u let me know if i can infact hold her responsible?